Affiliate Disclaimer: All products and services featured are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Using a standard tub can be dangerous for anyone with mobility issues. Converting to a walk-in tub gives customers with disabilities or mobility limitations more freedom to care for themselves. With added features such as handrails, operating doors, and comfortable seating, walk-in tubs offer a balance of convenience, safety, and independence.
Kohler, a leading manufacturer of kitchen and bath products, offers walk-in tubs with safety and luxury features. We’ve researched the best walk-in tubs to find the top options for homeowners. Our comprehensive review explores the Kohler walk-in tub’s benefits, features, and estimated costs.
Fast Facts About Kohler
- Founded: 1873
- State availability: 47 states (coverage may vary throughout the state)
- Warranty options: Limited lifetime warranty
- Price range: $2,000 to $20,000
The Kohler Co. began manufacturing steel and cast-iron products in 1873 in Kohler, Wisconsin. The company entered the plumbing business 10 years later and has since grown to become a global leader in bathroom and kitchen fixtures.
Kohler’s walk-in tub makes independent bathing more accessible. The company offers just one walk-in tub model, compared to other manufacturers with a larger catalog. However, the Kohler tub has enough safety and comfort features to cover many customer needs. Kohler also offers a walk-in shower version of this tub.
The safety and spa-like features of Kohler’s walk-in bathtub improve the bathing experience for seniors and people with limited mobility. Kohler also makes it easy to customize your walk-in bath to blend in with your bathroom design. Below is an overview of the Kohler walk-in tub’s safety, luxury, and customization features.
The Kohler walk-in tub’s safety features include low-step entry and grab bars compliant with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Design. We’ll break down the full safety features below.
- Easy-to-reach controls: Kohler’s walk-in tub controls are conveniently located near the interior handrails. This control panel manages all tub features, such as the heated backrest and whirlpool jets.
- Ergonomic hand grips: Handrails are placed on the outside frame and inside the tub for better support when standing and sitting. The ergonomic design ensures a firm grip for added stability.
- Extra-wide door: This feature allows homeowners with limited mobility to enter and exit the tub easily. Kohler claims its door is 20% larger than other walk-in tubs. The door seals shut to prevent leaks but unfortunately is not wheelchair-accessible.
- Handheld shower head: The multifunctional hand shower’s pivoting design makes bathing easier. The showerhead includes three spray settings for added convenience.
- Low three-inch step entry: The step-in height of Kohler’s walk-in tub is one of the lowest on the market. This safe step reduces slipping risks and makes for easy transitions in and out of the tub.
- Non-slip flooring: The textured flooring provides extra safety when moving in the tub. The slip-resistant surface ensures you stay safe when entering and exiting the tub.
Kohler’s hydrotherapy feature improves circulation and muscle relaxation, creating an overall comforting experience. Its walk-in tub has the following options:
- Bask heated backrest: This feature provides heat to your neck, shoulders, and back during your soak. The backrest has three settings to help you find the best comfort level.
- Extra-wide seat: Kohler’s 21.5 inch seat is 30% deeper than seats on other available walk-in tubs. Its lower positioning and angle sit at the perfect comfort level for soaking.
- Fast-drain technology: Kohler’s patented quick-draining design empties your tub in around two minutes, and its quick-fill feature saves time at the bath’s start. Drain and fill time varies based on your bathroom plumbing.
- Hydrotherapy whirlpool jets: The BubbleMassage air jets release thousands of bubbles at three different intensities to create a therapeutic and relaxing experience. Its 10 powerful water jets deliver massaging pressure to your neck, back, and legs.
Kohler offers several upgrades and customizations to help integrate your new walk-in tub into your current bathroom design. Its walk-in tub is designed to fit within the space of your old tub, simplifying the installation process. Kohler’s standard walk-in tub size is 28 inches wide, 39 inches tall, and 52 inches long. Tub sizes can be adjusted from 52 to 60 inches long and from 28 to 32 inches wide.
Homeowners can choose from a selection of solid and patterned LuxStone bath walls to add more color elements to their new tub. Made from engineered stone materials, these low-maintenance, durable surfaces surround your walk-in tub and complement your bathroom design. Kohler also provides faucet finish and bathtub color customizations.
Kohler’s customer support is available via phone, online texting, and online form. Use the online form to send Kohler photos of your project for further assistance. Unfortunately, the customer support team cannot provide additional details regarding installation costs, walk-in tub pricing, or personalized quotes. You must contact a local Kohler dealer to get exact walk-in tub pricing details.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Kohler
Easy-grip, ergonomic handrails
No wheelchair accessibility models
Lower step-in height than walk-in tubs
Only one model available
Time-saving fast-drain technology
Product availability limited to certain areas
Kohler Walk-In Tub Installation
Installing a Kohler walk-in bath typically takes one day. However, the timeline may vary depending on your bathroom layout, electrical output, and plumbing. Below is a general overview of what to expect on installation day.
- A team of Kohler-authorized installers will arrive with all the necessary equipment to complete the job. This includes safety equipment, protective shoe covers, and tarps to cover your bathroom.
- They’ll install the tub and handle any necessary plumbing and electrical work.
- The team will remove and dispose of your old bathtub at no extra charge. The new tub is installed in its place.
- Your Kohler team will verify the tub is working correctly and provide a guided tour of its functions and features. The crew will answer any questions.
Kohler Walk-In Tub Costs
Walk-in tub installation costs vary based on added features, your current bathroom design, and any requested upgrades. Because of this, Kohler doesn’t include any pricing details on its website and requires you to request a free quote for further information. We’ve provided an overview of the quote process and how costs are calculated below.
Although Kohler doesn’t specify its own walk-in tub costs, it estimates that most walk-in tubs are $2,000 to $20,000, depending on the brand and features. Additional features, such as added grab bars and decorative wall material, could increase costs by $1,000 to $5,000. You should also consider labor costs for installation, which could add $2,500 to $8,000 to your project.
Your local Kohler dealer considers the following factors when calculating a quote:
- Bathroom size: In addition to your bathroom’s square footage, your dealer will check the width of your doorways, stairs, and walkways. If your doors require modification to fit the tub into your bathroom, your pricing will increase.
- Current bathroom design: Your current tub, shower, and bathroom fixture placement will be reviewed with your safety in mind. Additional changes may be required to create the best safety environment for entering and exiting the tub.
- Customizations: Adding faucet finishes, LuxStone bath walls, and other upgrades will impact your final quote.
- Electrical panel: Kohler installers will review your home’s electrical capacity to ensure it can properly power your walk-in tub. If any modifications are needed, you will incur additional charges.
- Tub location: Bathrooms on higher floors will require additional labor and could extend the project timeline, affecting your overall budget.
- Water heater capacity: Walk-in tubs require more water to fill. Your system may need updating to accommodate the increased water capacity. Kohler recommends installing a 50-gallon water heater to properly support the extra water capacity and its temperature.
You must request a free quote to get details about your potential walk-in tub cost. You’ll need to work with an authorized Kohler installer to maintain warranty coverage (rather than an independent contractor).
On the day of your scheduled quote appointment, a local Kohler representative will conduct an in-home inspection. The rep will review your current bathroom’s configuration, electrical outlets, water heater, and circuit box. They will also check your bathroom door and other doorway sizes to ensure your walk-in tub will fit when delivered.
You’ll receive a same-day quote with included accessories, installation costs, and customizations. You may qualify for additional discounts and promotions specific to your area. One added benefit of a Kohler walk-in tub quote is that all costs, including installation, are included in your final figure. The company is transparent about total project costs and will lock in your quoted price for one calendar year.
Kohler offers several financing options through GreenSky, a home improvement financing institution. Although plan availability varies, you could qualify for $0 interest for a year or no payments for 18 months. Your local Kohler-authorized dealer will provide further details about qualifying plans.
Kohler’s walk-in bathtub includes a limited lifetime warranty that lasts as long as you own your home. It covers hydrotherapy system manufacturing defects plus the bath door seal, hand shower, and faucet. A Kohler-authorized dealer must install the tub to keep your warranty valid.
Medicare and health insurance won’t cover a walk-in tub’s cost, but there may be an exception if your doctor deems it medically necessary. You may qualify for Medicare supplemental insurance, or Medicaid, for partial payments toward a walk-in tub. Check your insurance coverage terms to verify.
Kohler’s walk-in tub offers added benefits, functionality, and accessibility that a traditional bathtub can’t provide. Its safety features, such as the low-entry threshold, added grab bars, and wide door, allows you or your loved ones to safely enjoy independent bathing. Features such as the whirlpool jets and heated seats add to the therapeutic experience. Although Kolher requires a quote for specific project details, the company offers transparent pricing and lists all installation costs at the start of the process.
Kohler Walk-In Tubs FAQ
Where are Kohler’s walk-in tubs made?
Kohler’s walk-in baths are designed and engineered in the United States.
Are Kohler walk-in tubs worth it?
Yes, Kohler walk-in tubs are worth it if you want a high-end tub that offers both safety and therapeutic benefits. Kohler walk-in tubs offer improved accessibility plus additional spa features such as a heated headrest and whirlpool jets.
Do walk-in tubs decrease home value?
No, walk-in tubs don’t decrease your home value. Your home value could be boosted if seniors or buyers with mobility issues make up the demand of your local real estate market. According to the National Association of Realtors, positioning your walk-in tub as a “step-in spa” can help appeal to younger buyers.
How do I clean my Kohler walk-in tub?
According to the Kohler website, homeowners should use non-abrasive, all-purpose spray or bathroom cleaner, a soft cloth or sponge, and glass cleaning fluid to clean their walk-in tub. Abrasive brushes and scouring pads can damage the tub’s surface. You should also avoid harsh chemicals such as bleach, ammonia, and alcohol, which could ruin the metal finishes.
How We Chose the Top Walk-In Tub Brands
We researched and analyzed dozens of walk-in tub brands. We then created a rating system based on each brand’s tub designs, safety features, and luxury options. In addition, we analyzed each brand’s warranty options to ensure they offered comprehensive limited lifetime warranties on more than just a few parts.
We visited each company’s website and spoke directly to representatives to learn if the brand provides fully customizable walk-in tubs and how the installation process works. We then closely compared each provider’s offerings to see which brand offers the most customizable and comprehensive walk-in tub selection with an eye toward luxury.