Affiliate Disclaimer: All products and services featured are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
French door refrigerators are a great choice for modern kitchens that need ample fridge space and want an effective kitchen organization solution. The side-by-side doors and bottom drawer design make French door fridges highly functional, aesthetically pleasing, and easy to navigate.
In this roundup and buying guide, our team looks at the best French door refrigerators on the market, discusses what to look for when shopping, and answers some frequently asked refrigerator questions.
Top 5 French Door Refrigerators
- Best Refrigerator Overall: Samsung Bespoke RF29BB86004M
- Best Four-Door Refrigerator: GE Profile PVD28BYNFS
- Best Counter-Depth Refrigerator: Frigidaire Gallery GRMC2272CF
- Best Smart Refrigerator: Bosch 500 Series B36FD50SNS
- Best Luxury Refrigerator: KitchenAid KRFC704FBS
Best French Door Refrigerator Overall
This uniquely designed French door refrigerator from Samsung has changeable door panels that come in various colors and two finishes to match your home. We also like that it has an extra-large capacity of 29 cubic feet, making it perfect for families.$3,329.99 on Best Buy
- Capacity: 29 cubic feet
- Number of doors: Four (three-door model also available)
- Finish options: Charcoal glass, navy glass, morning blue glass (pictured), gray glass, matte black steel, stainless steel, white, white glass
What we like: In addition to its ultra-large capacity and unique color choices, we like that this fridge has several useful features. We particularly like that it includes a FlexZone drawer with five controllable temperature settings. It also provides easy water access via an internal dispenser or a built-in pitcher. Finally, we were impressed with this refrigerator’s smart features and Wi-Fi connectivity.
What Customers Are Saying
We found that customers are impressed with this refrigerator’s stylish design, large capacity, and convenient ice maker. However, some customers say the temperatures run warmer than what’s listed on the internal thermometer.
“I love the look of it as much as I love what it does—different cooling zones, two types of ice, a refilling water pitcher and a water dispenser, and a middle tray that can be set to deli or wine or beverage. This thing is awesome.” —Coachred via Best Buy
“This refrigerator is amazing! Same exterior size but holds so much more. Love the water station!” —KarenG via Best Buy
“The refrigerator has different temperature zones, as I put a thermometer where my milk spoiled two times. The reading on the thermometer was at 50 degrees when the setting was set to 37 degrees automatically.” —Vicky via Best Buy
Best Four-Door French Door Refrigerator
This refrigerator includes door-in-door storage that provides easy access to all of your refrigerated foods and allows you to store tall items such as wine or soda bottles. It also includes a removable bin caddy that gives you more flexibility to fit items.$3,499.00 on Amazon
- Capacity: 27.9 cubic feet
- Number of doors: Four
- Finish option: Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel
What we like: This fridge is Wi-Fi enabled and can send instant alerts to your smartphone, allowing you to control Turbo Cool and Turbo Freeze settings remotely. It also comes with a four-setting adjustable temperature control to allow fresh foods to last longer. In addition, we were impressed with this fridge’s water filtration, soft-close veggie drawer, and fingerprint-resistant stainless steel finish.
What Customers Are Saying
Customers who gave this product positive reviews like that it has a variety of valuable features, such as a water and ice dispenser. Several are also impressed with its bright interior LED lighting and spacious interior. However, we found that some people have issues with the defrosting function, and others say the auto-fill doesn’t work properly.
“The door-in-door feature with the turning trays is so convenient. We love the auto-fill feature for water. The control features are so easy to use compared to previous appliances, and the app is a great bonus feature you don’t get with other brands. Lots of space with this model over our last one, which was counter depth. It’s definitely worth getting the deeper model.” —Jackie2231 via GE
“I love this refrigerator and constantly use the door in a door and the auto-fill water dispenser. We have always had a side-by-side refrigerator so we had to get used to the lower freezer, and now I like it. We also have a chill drawer, which is wonderful for canned drinks and snacks.” —Connie and Bob via GE
“I guess this fridge serves the need. I don’t feel like the freezer opens as easily as it should, and opening and closing it often makes the electronic panel go haywire. The panel seems to be very glitchy and often changes to the other option in the middle of dispensing. Not sure I would purchase this again” —Slwi via GE
Best Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator
This French door refrigerator is ideal for customers who don’t need excess capacity. It has several great features but with less space at 21.5 cubic feet. It includes a SpaceWise organization system that helps you maximize your fridge space and a custom flex temp drawer that can be used either as a refrigerator or freezer.$3,299.99 on Best Buy
- Capacity: 21.5 cubic feet
- Number of doors: Four
- Finish options: Stainless steel
What we like: We’re impressed by this product’s built-in technologies that help reduce waste and lower energy consumption. We also like that it has features like auto-close doors, a TwinTech cooling system, and a reversible bin for flexible storage. In addition, this fridge comes with a PureAir air filter to help eliminate nasty smells.
What Customers Are Saying
Several customers are impressed with this fridge’s roomy interior, thoughtful design, and smart features. However, some also mention that the doors don’t align properly. One person says the crisp tray on their model froze.
“We bought it about a week ago, and so far we love it! Lots of space, love the middle drawer to store wines and cold drinks!” —EdgarA via Best Buy
“Beautifully designed and thoughtful features. This new fridge makes a world of difference in our kitchen.” —bbeck106 via Best Buy
“Nice looking fridge, great space. Issues encountered with doors: Large door is not aligned and doesn’t seem to be adjustable. Small door soft close isn’t soft closing after less than two months. Will be contacting Frigidaire for warranty repair or replacement.” —JonathanF via Best Buy
Best Smart French Door Refrigerator
This model from Bosch gets top points for its dual ice maker and water dispenser. It makes fast, fresh, filtered water and creates crescent-shaped ice cubes that will cool any drink. Additionally, it uses an advanced water filter to remove over 99.9% of impurities from your water as it dispenses.$2,999.99 on Best Buy
- Capacity: 26 cubic feet
- Number of doors: Three
- Finish options: Black stainless steel, stainless steel
What we like: In addition to its excellent water and ice dispenser, this fridge also features advanced temperature control that helps keep foods fresh and reduces odors. We also like that it comes with a touch control display for easy accessibility and a tiered freezer drawer to create more freezer capacity and keep your frozen foods organized.
What Customers Are Saying
We found that customers like this refrigerator’s easy-to-use smart features, large total capacity, and ample door storage. However, others have had issues with the temperature control.
“This fridge is amazing! It looks great, works amazingly well, and is Wi-Fi connected. The Wi-Fi connection is clutch—I have a young [child] who accidentally keeps the doors open, and the fridge notifies me after 30 seconds. Ice bin notifications are great in addition to an ice well for excess ice … A work of art in my kitchen! I’m so glad I made the most important appliance of my home the best appliance in my home.” —AntDogg65 via Best Buy
“This is without a doubt the best fridge I’ve ever owned. Compared to the fridge it replaced, it has more space, better workmanship, and I love the ice/water dispenser. Can’t think of anything I don’t like. Would recommend to anyone looking for a quality fridge.”—Henry via Best Buy
“The unit was defective because for no reason the temperature in the fridge section could go as high as 57F. We ended up exchanging it for another brand within two weeks after it was delivered.” —MYTseng via Best Buy
Best Luxury French Door Refrigerator
Our team is impressed with this refrigerator’s stylish look, which includes a silver gloss and wood finish. Not only does the wood finish look great, but it’s also moisture-resistant and stain-resistant, making it stand out from other French door models. This fridge is available in both stainless steel and black stainless steel.$4,499.99 on Best Buy
- Capacity: 23.8 cubic feet
- Number of doors: Three
- Finish options: Stainless steel, black stainless steel
What we like: This model uses two independent cooling systems to help keep food at the optimal temperature. It also has a unique dairy bin that uses a gasket seal to keep items such as yogurt and butter fresh longer. Our team was especially impressed by the fridge’s unique water filter, which measures in ounces, cups, and liters, which makes it easy to pour a specific amount. Another great feature is its three full-width adjustable glass shelves that allow for even more customization.
What Customers Are Saying
We found that customers like this fridge’s large capacity, insulated crisper drawers, and stylish, modern design. But some have had issues with the fridge’s ice maker, and others say it scratches easily.
“This is the best refrigerator we’ve ever owned. It’s amazing how much room it has for its counter size. Crisper and fruit drawers are insulated so well it’s keeping our fruits and vegetables fresher longer! We’ve recommended this to two of our friends who purchased it also. If I could give this 10 stars, I would!” —ClosB via Best Buy
“This fridge is top-notch. The soft closing drawers are the dealbreaker. Has all the bells and whistles. The interior has tons of room for all your food. Gorgeous fridge!” —PNut via Best Buy
“Easily got scratched. The drawers are very uncomfortable to take out. The drawers are also unaligned from production and Best Buy couldn’t do anything except give a credit.” —DRETO via Best Buy
What to Look For in a French Door Refrigerator
Here are some important factors to consider when shopping for a French door refrigerator.
- Brand: Some of the most reliable refrigerator brands that make French door models include Bosch, Cafe, Frigidaire, GE, KitchenAid, LG, Samsung, and Whirlpool.
- Capacity: Determine how much space you need in your fridge. This may depend on how often you cook, how large your family is, and how many groceries you buy at a time. Large-capacity French door models exceed 25 cubic feet, while smaller, more budget-friendly models range from 18 to 24 cubic feet.
- Design and finish: French door refrigerators look great in any modern kitchen, but each model has its own unique design. Some models come in glass or fingerprint-resistant finish options beyond the standard stainless steel or black, while others have unique designs such as door-in-door or a special viewing door that allows you to see inside when the fridge is closed.
- Energy efficiency: French door refrigerators are generally more energy-efficient than side-by-side models, but some are more efficient than others. Look for models that are ENERGY STAR-certified, which means they meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Layout: Some French door models have features such as adjustable shelving, door bins, and drawers that allow you to customize the storage space. Consider the number and size of the compartments and how they’re arranged, as well as how easy it is to access them.
- Size: The size of a French door refrigerator refers to its dimensions. To ensure you have enough space in your home, check the measurements of the French door refrigerator you’re considering and measure the space where you plan to install it. Be sure to account for doors being fully open and leave room for ventilation surrounding the fridge.
Features to Look For
The features of a French door refrigerator vary depending on the brand and model, but here are some standard features to look out for.
- Adjustable temperature control: Fridges with adjustable temperature control allow you to change the temperature based on your food storage requirements. Some also include specific temperature zones so you can place items in the most optimal location to keep them fresh.
- Door-in-door design: A door-in-door fridge features a smaller exterior door that provides access to frequently used items, such as drinks and condiments, without letting cold air escape from the main compartment.
- Humidity-controlled drawers: Fridges with humidity-controlled drawers allow food like fruits and vegetables to remain fresh longer by keeping them at a higher humidity than the rest of the fridge.
- Ice and water dispensers: Some French door fridges include an in-door dual ice maker and filtered water dispenser.
- Removable drawers: A fridge with removable crisper drawers allows you to create more space when storing bulkier items.
- Smart features: Smart fridges have innovative features that allow you to adjust the temperature remotely or automatically save energy and connect to AI hubs like Alexa or Google Home. Some also have a built-in touchscreen control panel and monitor that streams video, stores grocery lists, tracks the fridge’s inventory, and displays photos.
When shopping for a French door refrigerator, consider what you value most in a new fridge.
If you want a stylish design and large capacity, we recommend the Samsung Bespoke Four-Door French Door Refrigerator, which is highly customizable and features 29 cubic feet of space.
If you care more about organization and extra features, we recommend the GE Profile French Door Refrigerator, which has highly flexible storage options and over 27.5 cubic feet of space.
French Door Refrigerator FAQ
What’s the difference between a French Door and a side-by-side refrigerator?
The main difference between French door and side-by-side refrigerators is that French door models have double doors with a freezer compartment on the bottom, whereas side-by-side models have a freezer on one side (typically the left) and a fridge space on the other. Side-by-side models are better for those with limited space or who want freezer access at eye level. Bottom-freezer refrigerators, such as French door models, typically have a larger fridge capacity and make it easier to organize your refrigerator compartments.
How do I know how much fridge storage I need?
Give yourself at least 4–8 cubic feet of fridge storage per person living in the household. So, if you live with one other person, any model with 15 cubic feet or more should be plenty. If you live with a family of five, we recommend looking for a standard depth model with at least 25 cubic feet of storage.
How long do French door refrigerators last?
The best refrigerators can last a decade or more when properly maintained. Some basic maintenance you can do to help prolong your refrigerator’s life includes cleaning the interior and exterior, changing the water filter, and defrosting the freezer compartment as needed. It’s also important to ensure that the refrigerator is properly leveled and that the door seals are in good condition.
How We Chose the Top French Door Refrigerators
Over the years, our team has vetted thousands of products to help you select the top French Door Refrigerators for your home. We update our data points and review content regularly to account for shifts in customer consensus, product availability, new releases, and overall quality.
To steer the product selection process, our reviewers conduct detailed research that focuses on several key factors:
- Brand research: We cast a wide net by first looking at the latest, most reputable models available through trusted retailers.
- Ratings: We then scope our list down to products with a high number of verified-buyer reviews and average customer ratings between four and five stars.
- Expert and consumer insights: Next, we look at what independent product testers, subject matter experts, and other publications have to say about each model we review.
- User needs: Finally, we compare each item’s features, specs, and warranty information to find a best-in-class option for every type of consumer and price point.