Affiliate Disclaimer: All products and services featured are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Porch swings (also referred to as patio swings) are outdoor furniture similar to traditional rocking or swing chairs, except they allow multiple people to sit in them at a time. They’re installed with strong metal chains and hooks that allow you to comfortably and safely sway on your deck. We researched the best porch swings available to help you find the best option for your home. Here are our top picks.
Top 5 Porch Swings
- Best Classic Design: Amelia Two-Person Porch Swing
- Best Metal: Kizer Two-Person Porch Swing
- Best Rustic Design: Amish Casual Treated Porch Swing
- Best Freestanding: Meiman Porch Swing with Canopy
- Best With Daybed: Carol Solid Wood Daybed
This traditional outdoor swing adds idyllic charm to your front porch and is perfect for couples or small households. It comes in a wide variety of color options and includes a stainless-steel chain that makes it easy to hang.$738.99 on Wayfair
- Dimensions (height x width x depth): 22 x 50 x 24 inches
- Frame colors: Black, coastal teak, federal blue, Nantucket blue, rustic red, toffee, weathered acorn, white, whitewash
- Seating capacity: Two people
- Weight capacity: 500 pounds
What we like: This porch swing can be set up on your deck, on your lawn, or poolside. It’s made from marine-grade lumber that creates a natural wood finish and includes a 12-year manufacturer warranty, giving you peace of mind should any issues arise.
What Customers Are Saying
Overall, customers are impressed with this swing’s design, straightforward assembly, and long-term durability. However, some claim the dimensions don’t match the description.
“It fits perfectly on my porch. It looks better than the pictures. What a wonderful place to take my breaks from my work-from-home job and have my favorite cup of Joe before starting my day.” —Pansy via Wayfair
“Love, love! Exactly what we wanted. Love the fact it won’t fade or rot, and I can just wash it down from pollen when necessary.” —Sandee via Wayfair
“A great porch swing with inaccurate headline dimension descriptions. Still in the box and on its way back to Wayfair. Its finished outer dimensions are 60” wide. Headline description for my size choice was 54 inches wide. Saw that as the critical “it’ll fit” measurement for my small porch. I scrolled online to the SPEC menu and saw the actual 60 inches. Glad I didn’t unbox it. IT IS A GREAT BENCH, though!!! My neighbor has it, and it looks and works great!!!” —James via Wayfair
- Dimensions (height x width x depth): 20 x 50 x 15.9 inches
- Frame color: Black
- Seating capacity: Two people
- Weight capacity: 485 pounds
What we like: This porch swing can hold nearly 500 pounds and includes a chain for easy setup. It can be fixed either under your porch or with a swing frame, and it weighs less than 40 pounds.
What Customers Are Saying
Customers like this porch swing’s simple but stylish design, sturdy build, and simple assembly. A few customers say they notice some rust developing.
“Love my porch swing. It adds the perfect amount of Parisian flare while making a comfy spot on the deck to watch the kids play. I’d buy it again and again.” —Tessa via Wayfair
“I’m very happy with this swing. Easy to assemble and perfect for my porch. Nice quality and fast service. It arrived four days earlier than expected.”—Joan via Wayfair
“I love these swings. I’ve noticed a little rust around the edges. I’ve had one up for a week and put the other one up Saturday. I was under the impression that they are rust free. I’ll wait and see if it gets worse. We are still in the process of building the fire pit.” —Linda via Wayfair
This product is great for enhancing your patio’s rustic look with a wood swing. It’s made of pressure-treated pine and has a rollback design that contours to your body for maximum comfort. It also comes with two cup holders.$265.00 on Amazon
- Dimensions (height x width x depth): 21.8 x 62.3 x 27 inches
- Frame colors: Dark walnut stain, semi-solid black stain, semi-solid white stain, unfinished, cedar stain
- Seating capacity: Three people
- Weight capacity: 800 pounds
What we like: This porch swing features all contoured edges of its wood frame, making it safer to use around children. The swing also comes with metal hanging chains and durable, rust-resistant hanging hardware.
What Customers Are Saying
Customers are impressed with this swing’s easy installation, while others like its large weight capacity. Some reviewers feel that the cup holders are too shallow.
“It arrived in a few days. Easy as can be to assemble (just make sure to put the chain ends through the eye screws before starting to tighten). Amazingly comfortable and sturdy. It looks fantastic and is definitely a quality swing. Well worth the expense.” —M. Stephens via Amazon
“This is a very nice and comfortable swing. It took about 45 minutes to assemble. I took off one star because the cup holders are basically useless as the majority of the cups I use don’t fit. So save your money on that feature. Even my yeti won’t fit unless you force it.” —Donna F. via Amazon
“This porch swing is very high quality, sturdy, and beautiful. It’s easy to assemble and so comfortable. My only complaint is that the cup holders seem a little shallow. I’ve had several drinks fall out and spill because the cup holders aren’t very deep. Even with that being said, this swing gets five stars. It is amazing.” —Sarah via Amazon
If you prefer a freestanding swing that you can place anywhere, this is a stylish option. Its adjustable canopy ensures you’ll be protected from rain or the sun, and it features comfortable cushions that are perfect for napping or reading.$1,050.00 on Wayfair
- Dimensions (height x width x depth): 73 x 97 x 63
- Frame color: Gray
- Seating capacity: Three
- Weight capacity: 750 pounds
What we like: This canopy swing has a curved frame that gives you complete shade protection as you sit, and it can fit up to three people and 750 pounds. It’s constructed with a durable powder-coated steel frame and has the ability to recline.
What Customers Are Saying
This swing received positive reviews for its comfortable seating, versatility, and stylish look. However, some complain that it squeaks a lot when swinging back and forth.
“Very beautiful, durable swing! We have been enjoying it for more than 2 years; we spend whole summers on it. Kids play on it, four to five people swing on it at a time. Everything is perfect about this swing and definitely recommend! It’s sturdy, comfortable, great quality.” —HomewithOlga via Wayfair
“It is beautiful and so sturdy! My husband and I love facing each other and swinging gently while we talk. And I was thrilled that my husband put it together (by himself) completely, and we were swinging in less than four hours. It’s my grandson’s favorite thing in our backyard!” —Dottie via Wayfair
“I like the swing and all the functions but it is very squeaky, which makes it hard to enjoy. I have to spray WD-40 on the hanging hooks each time I use it, or it’s so loud it hurts my ears. They should have inserted a rubber grommet into the hooks so there would be no squeaking. I am going to try to find a way to fix the problem, but until then it is kind of a pain in the neck!” —Barbara via Wayfair
This unique hanging daybed provides a base for a standard twin-size mattress that will give you complete comfort as you stargaze or take a nap outdoors. It’s crafted with sturdy knot-free pine and can support up to 650 pounds.$1,053.00 on Wayfair
- Dimensions (height x width x length): 21 x 43 x 79 inches
- Frame colors: Unfinished, asbury, black, canary yellow, Caribbean blue, coffee, dark green, honey, lime green, mikes cherry, olive gray, rich tobacco, tractor red, white
- Seating capacity: Two to three
- Weight capacity: 650 pounds
What we like: This swing bed comes in a wide range of colors, giving you the ability to find the one that matches your personal style. It can also accommodate four-inch seat cushions in addition to a mattress and can be used indoors for a child’s or guest bedroom.
What Customers Are Saying
Satisfied customers like that this bed is made with solid materials, has a stout design, and has several colors to choose from. However, some customers found that assembly is challenging.
“I bought the unfinished one and painted it to save some money! It came out beautifully! Really easy to put together, solid wood! Great quality. We get so many compliments on it!” —Cara via Wayfair
“This was easy to put together and is so perfect under my back deck. Solid material and great quality for the price.” —Lauren via Wayfair
“Very beautiful and worth the money. I got it ready and stained. Was a bit hard to put together because it comes with no instructions, just pictures to follow, but I was able to put it together. I chose to buy chains rather than using the ropes that came with it. Very happy with this purchase.” —Anonymous via Wayfair
What to Look For in a Porch Swing
Porch swings come in a variety of styles, sizes, and materials. Consider the following factors to ensure you’re finding the best porch swing for your patio.
- Type: The main types of porch swings are hanging, freestanding, and daybed. Hanging porch swings are the most common. These are suspended from your porch’s ceiling via chains and additional hardware. Freestanding models can be placed directly on the ground and come with an attached seating area that swings back and forth once connected to the frame. Daybeds have a wider base designed for sleeping or lying down.
- Material: The base of a porch swing can be made with a variety of materials, including wood, metal, high-density polyethylene, rattan, and even plastic. Consider the location of where you plan to install the swing before deciding on a material. Metal and wooden porch swings work best in most areas, as they’re heavy-duty, durable, and largely weatherproof and corrosion resistant. Plastic swings should only be kept inside or in covered areas.
- Design: Porch swings should be comfortable and stylish and should match your existing aesthetic. Porch swings come in many style and color options, so it’s easy to find one that matches your preference.
- Capacity: The capacity of a porch swing determines how many people can sit on it at once. Most outdoor patio swings are designed to fit two or three people, similar to the size of a loveseat. You should also note the swing’s weight limit, especially if multiple adults will be sitting on it at once.
- Size: Measure the size of your porch before buying a patio porch swing, and make sure you’re getting a model that won’t take up too much space or extend past the sides of your deck. You should also make sure you’re leaving enough space behind the unit so you can sway back fully without hitting your home.
We recommend the Amelia Two-Person Porch Swing for a balance of style, function, and design. It provides a classic look that fits on any porch and has a 12-year warranty, one of the longest among the products we reviewed. The Meiman Porch Swing with Canopy is another of our top choices due to its comfortable design, recycling capabilities, and canopy that allows you to use it on your lawn as well as on your porch.
Porch Swing FAQ
How do you install a porch swing?
Hanging outdoor porch swings typically come with hanging materials like a hanging rope or chain that you can use to attach the swing to the top of your porch’s ceiling. You may need to purchase the hanging hardware separately, such as an eyebolt that screws into the ceiling joist. Freestanding units don’t require mounting hardware, but you’ll likely need to attach the seating area to the frame.
Are porch swings comfortable?
Most porch swings have a metal or wooden seat that may be uncomfortable to sit on for long periods of time. You can make them more comfortable by hooking seat or back cushions onto the unit. Some models come with cushions, armrests, or padded seats for added comfort.
What’s the difference between a porch swing and a porch glider?
Porch gliders are another piece of patio furniture similar to porch swings, but they’re freestanding on the ground instead of suspended in the air. Porch gliders are similar to traditional benches except that the base is able to sway back and forth in a rocking motion.
How big should a porch swing be?
How big a porch swing should be depends on your individual needs and preferences. Consider how many people will be using the swing at one time and how much room you have to operate. Most porch swings are between four and six feet, so you should be able to accommodate at least that much space if you plan to buy a porch swing.
How We Chose the Top Porch Swings
Over the years, our team has vetted thousands of products to help you select the top products for your home. We update our data points and review content regularly to account for shifts in customer consensus, product availability, new releases, and overall quality.
To steer the product selection process, our reviewers conduct detailed research that focuses on several key factors:
- Brand research: We cast a wide net by first looking at the latest, most reputable models available through trusted retailers.
- Ratings: We then scope down our list to products with a high number of verified-buyer reviews and average customer rating between four and five stars.
- Expert and consumer insights: Next, we look at what independent product testers, subject matter experts, and other publications have to say about each model we review.
- User needs: Finally, we compare each item’s features, specs, and warranty information to find a best-in-class option for every type of consumer and price point.