Affiliate Disclaimer: All products and services featured are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Everything is bigger in Texas, and homes are no exception. Keeping up with a large home often includes proactive maintenance and making repairs when major home systems and appliances break. With a home warranty, you’ll receive protection when systems and appliances fail due to normal wear and tear.
A home warranty is an investment in your peace of mind: You pay a monthly fee to keep your policy active plus a small fee whenever you file a claim. After reviewing dozens of home warranty providers, our team arrived at the best home warranty companies in Texas. We considered factors such as service plan availability, plan pricing, industry reputation, customer service, and the quality of additional features offered.
The Top 8 Home Warranty Companies in Texas
When researching a home warranty, consider the type of coverage, plan costs, and customer service ratings before making a selection. For example, choosing a company with flexible service fees allows you to customize your monthly premium. This can increase the value you obtain from your provider. Below are the top home warranty providers available in Texas:
- American Home Shield : Best for Comprehensive Coverage
- Liberty Home Guard : Best Add-on Variety
- Select Home Warranty : Best for Cost-Effective Plans
- First American Home Warranty : Best for Home Systems Coverage
- America’s 1st Choice Home Club : Best Membership Perks
- Cinch Home Services : Best Coverage Variety
- The Home Service Club : Best for Essential Coverage
- HomeServe : Best for Specific Needs
We gathered all cost data, coverage options, and add-on availability in this article through a simulated quote process for a single-family home smaller than 5,000 square feet in Houston. Because plans and pricing can vary from home to home even of similar size and location, it’s a good idea to request a personalized quote for each provider.
Compare the Best Home Warranty Companies in Texas
|Star Rating||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating||Link|
|American Home Shield||$65–$76||$100–$125||B||VISIT SITE|
|Liberty Home Guard||$49-$60||$65–$125||A+||VISIT SITE|
|Select Home Warranty||$44–$48||$65–$75||B-||VISIT SITE|
|First American Home Warranty||$59–$77||$75–$125||B||VISIT SITE|
|American Home Shield|
|Liberty Home Guard|
|Select Home Warranty|
Our team carefully vetted the top home warranty companies on factors such as plan offerings, responsive customer service, and additional features—including the ability to choose your own contractor and coverage for high-end appliance brands—to determine the top home warranty companies in Texas.
Standout choices include American Home Shield for its generous coverage caps, ideal for people with big-ticket appliances and systems. If you want the option to choose your own contractor, AFC Home Club may be an ideal option.
However, whether you want protection for your expensive kitchen appliances or need to support your air conditioning system during the hot Texas summers, do your due diligence before signing up for a home warranty. We recommend requesting a quote from as many providers as possible to compare quotes and coverage options, reading each provider’s sample contract, and speaking to a company representative before enrolling in a policy.
How to Choose a Home Warranty
Based on our survey of 1,000 homeowners, we found out that more than half of respondents considered two to three home warranty providers before making their final decision. Here are a few tips to help you purchase the best home warranty for your Texas home.
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family members. If you are working with a real estate agent or have loved ones who enjoy their home warranty provider, ask them what stood out about their experience and which company they suggest.
- Compare plans and contracts. Before you select a plan, read the fine print of each provider’s sample agreement and compare the limitations of each provider and the amount of coverage you can expect during your plan term.
- Determine which home warranty plans are available in your area. It’s always beneficial to request a quote from several home warranty providers and compare the plan offerings available to you in your area. For example, certain add-on options may vary depending on your zip code.
- Read the fine print: Home warranties, like home insurance, have exclusions and coverage limitations listed in their sample contracts. Carefully read a provider’s sample contract before signing up to know the coverage limits of covered systems and appliances.
- Resolve any lingering questions and concerns. During our research process, we analyzed hundreds of customer reviews, where we learned that many homeowners have misconceptions about the extent of their home warranty coverage. These misunderstandings can lead to frustration and denied claims. If you have any confusion about the coverage caps, excluded scenarios, and limitations of your policy, we recommend speaking with a customer service representative for clarity before signing up for a plan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a home warranty worth it?
If you’ve recently purchased a property, you may have more repair needs and workmanship concerns than a home where you’ve selected, maintained, and completed repairs yourself. Similarly, an older or historic home may be more likely to contain older appliances and built-in systems, which can increase the likelihood of repairs in the future.Home warranties help homeowners streamline the repair process for their built-in systems and appliances. Rather than searching for a specialized contractor every time you need a repair, a home warranty policy allows you to file a service request for a covered item, and an already vetted, licensed, and insured contractor in your area will schedule a time to assess your broken appliance or system.
Do home warranty companies have coverage limits?
Your home warranty coverage depends on the plan you select. Some providers place coverage caps on their plans, while other providers break that coverage down by item. The exclusions and limitations section in your sample contract should outline these terms. Read your sample agreement before signing up for a policy to understand the extent of your policy’s coverage.
Are home warranty companies trustworthy?
Because the home warranty industry is regulated differently than the insurance industry, it can be difficult to tell if a home warranty provider is reputable if you don’t know what to look for. While cease and desist orders are common in the industry, it is often due to the ambiguous regulation practices and the differences in how each state licenses its providers. In the absence of other red flags, a cease and desist order should not be an immediate cause for alarm.While we have carefully vetted each home warranty provider in this review, we recommend that you take extra care to look out for other warning signs. A reputable provider will have clear and easy-to-understand terms detailed in its sample contract, and you shouldn’t have a hard time finding the contract on the provider’s website. Reputable home warranty providers will also have an accessible customer service team that allows you to file claims easily, check on the status of a claim, and ask questions as needed.
Do home warranties cover old appliances?
Most home warranty companies don’t exclude items from coverage based on their age, but a company’s claims department will take an item’s age into account when calculating the replacement of an appliance. For example, a 15-year-old clothes washer would not have the same replacement value as an appliance purchased in the last couple of years.
How We Chose the Top Home Warranty Providers
Our team reviewed and researched dozens of home warranty providers, thoroughly analyzed sample agreements, and identified customer pain points based on our analysis of customer reviews and interviews with industry experts. Our in-depth methodology outlines our review process to provide transparent information about the companies we review.
We determined that the following factors are the most important when comparing home warranty companies: available plans, plan coverage, price range, industry reputation, customer support, and additional features. Our research supported that plan coverage, customer service, and industry reputation should carry the most weight. While important, the other factors should not have as much influence when choosing a home warranty provider.