Affiliate Disclaimer: All products and services featured are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nothing can disturb your peace of mind more quickly than a pest infestation. So whether you’re looking to prevent or eliminate a creepy-crawly concern, you’ll want to choose a reputable pest control provider to protect your home.
In our research on pest control, we read hundreds of reviews from real customers on third-party sites, listened to more than 100 hours of customer service calls, and secret-shopped for quotes, and we found that Orkin is one of the most recognizable and tenured providers in the pest control industry. Our comprehensive Orkin review offers details on treatment plans, reservicing policies, customer reviews, pros and cons, and how Orkin compares to other top pest control companies.
Compare Pest Companies
Fast Facts About Orkin
- Pests Covered: Ants, bed bugs, beetles, carpenter ants, centipedes, cockroaches, crickets, earwigs, fleas, flies, millipedes, mites, mosquitoes, moths, rodents, silverfish, spiders, stinging insects, termites, ticks, and wildlife
- 24/7 Availability: Yes
- State Availability: 47 (all but Alaska, South Dakota, and Wyoming)
- Get a Quick Quote: Visit Orkin site
Benefits and Drawbacks of Orkin
Here are a few of our top pros and cons for Orkin’s pest management services:
Provides a money-back guarantee during the first 30 days of service
No live chat available for digital customer service.
In business since 1901, holding more than a century of experience
Does not offer free or discounted initial inspections
Offers online quotes and a library of pest resources
Orkin Pest Control Services
All of Orkin’s general pest control services treat for 15 common pest issues, but your initial visit and price will be determined by the biggest potential pest issue you’re facing. This first service is the most aggressive and will be more tailored than the subsequent general visits. After the initial inspection and treatment, your Orkin services will be provided as bimonthly general pest control treatments. Note that service offerings may vary by region.
- Ants: Ant treatments are included in Orkin’s general plan using a combination of insecticides and dealing with potential entry points. There is an additional service available for tough-to-treat carpenter ants. A member of our team tested Orkin’s targeted services for an ant and spider infestation. The Orkin technician checked all entry points and used a treatment combination of sealing foam and bait pellets. The problem was resolved by Orkin’s treatment.
- Bed bugs: Orkin offers treatments for bed bugs after an initial inspection to determine where they live throughout the house and the number of generations. The company then delivers heat, freezing, and chemical treatment to oust these critters.
- Beetles: Beetles, a common household pest, are included in Orkin’s general plan.
- Centipedes and millipedes: These creatures are included in Orkin’s general pest control treatments, no matter how many legs they have.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are included in bimonthly treatments under the general Orkin plan.
- Crickets: Bimonthly cricket treatment and prevention is part of Orkin’s general plan.
- Earwigs: Earwigs are included in the umbrella of pests covered by the general plan from Orkin.
- Fleas: As a stand-alone or add-on service, Orkin will treat for fleas in the home by identifying entry points, eliminating these pests, and preventing recurring infestations.
- Flies: Treatment for flies is part of the bimonthly services included in Orkin’s general pest control plan.
- Mites: Mites are another common pest in many areas of the country covered under the general plan from Orkin.
- Mosquitoes: For an additional fee, Orkin offers mosquito treatments as a stand-alone or add-on service performed monthly from April through October.
- Moths: Moth prevention and treatment are included in the general plan offered by Orkin.
- Rodents: Rodents, like mice and rats, are covered in Orkin’s general pest plan, though a current rodent issue may present a higher cost for the initial visit.
- Silverfish: These common bathroom bugs are included in Orkin’s general pest control treatments.
- Scorpions: For warmer areas of the country that experience these pests, scorpions are some of the pests covered in the general plan.
- Spiders: Spiders are part of the standard coverage in an Orkin general plan.
- Stinging insects: Orkin offers treatment for stinging insects, such as wasps and hornets, as an individual or added service. In typical treatments for these pests, Orkin will knock down the nest and use a pheromone-blocking spray to prevent them from returning.
- Termites: If you’re battling termite damage from these house-harming insects, an Orkin Pro will perform liquid Termidor treatments, apply OrkinFoam dry foam treatments to seal hard-to-reach areas, and use Sentricon baiting and monitoring methods for ongoing termite control.
- Ticks: Ticks can be a significant health hazard, and tick prevention is offered as an additional service for homeowners. Orkin treats for ticks by starting with a thorough inspection, using insecticides to treat their resting environments, and suggesting changes to the habitat for the residing family and any four-legged friends to avoid future problems.
- Wildlife: Orkin’s wildlife treatments vary significantly based on the animal, but an Orkin Pro will customize a plan to deter or trap the pest in question safely. This can be an added treatment in conjunction with a general plan or a one-off pest control service.
Orkin Reservice Guarantee
Orkin provides a thorough reservicing guarantee, promising to return free of charge for follow-up services if covered pests return between treatments. For example, if spiders appear between bimonthly services, an Orkin specialist would return before the next scheduled visit to reapply. The company also provides a 30-day money-back guarantee for those unsure whether pest control is right for them.
Perhaps due to more than 120 years of experience, Orkin’s prices can exceed competitor rates, particularly for initial visits. For an accurate idea of pricing, we secret-shopped the company for a three-bedroom, three-bathroom house on an acre of land in Cincinnati. For Orkin’s general plan, we were quoted $216.50 without mosquitos for the first inspection and treatment and $94.83 per month for ongoing pest control. Our customer service representative noted that the price of the initial visit would be determined partially by the type of pest. While Orkin’s mosquito treatments start in April and end in October, they are charged monthly throughout the entire year. Initial mosquito treatment was $134, and $59 monthly after the first service.
We also had a member of our team test Orkin’s targeted pest removal services for a 2,000-square-foot, two-story home in the Raleigh area. They requested treatment for ants and spiders at a 2,000-square-foot home in Raleigh, North Carolina. Our team member was quoted a price of just over $350. Orkin requested credit card information over the phone to book the inspection and treatment.
After analyzing hundreds of reviews across multiple third-party sites, we found that many positive reviews cited the proactive communication, professionalism, and timeliness of Orkin Pros. A member of our team tested Orkin’s services and had a similar experience. They were impressed by the technician’s professionalism and expertise. Upon arrival, the technician immediately asked if there were any children or pets living in the home. The technician answered questions and reassured our team member that all treatments were safe and nontoxic. The technician also explained each step of the treatment as they went through the home.
The few negative reviews we encountered mentioned opposite experiences: late arrival times or missed appointments with no notice. Below are a few representative reviews from Orkin customers.
I have had a great experience using Orkin since becoming a homeowner last year. We have a lot of foliage and an older home, and bugs are my biggest fear. I am so pleased with our service, and our technician. Thank you… for keeping our home bug free! —Erika Thomas via Google Reviews
My initial request was to get rid of a very busy gopher in my yard. Arrived well within the time the tech said he would and got right down to business. Explained what he would be doing, why, and what to expect. Then also treated the outside of the house for spiders, ants, wasps, earwigs, etc. Very professional, thorough and efficient. —Shannon McAllister via Google Reviews
Generally a good and reliable company. However, the service is half done. As an example[,] the focus hedge in my backyard is often not treated for whitefly[,] which is one of the reasons I got Orkin in the first place. Service could be better to match the prestige of the Orkin name. —Dhruv Khanna via Google Reviews
I do not care for people walking in and out of your house multiple times in shoes. We maintain a nice house. Management should train staff not to be presumptuous, but rather respectful to homeowners. Provide shoe covers and encourage your employees to be considerate. —Victoria Sanford via Google Reviews
How Orkin Compares to the Competition
Here’s how Orkin compares to other professional pest control options:
If you need a professional exterminator, Orkin is an excellent choice for pest control. It offers more than 120 years of experience, a money-back guarantee within the first 30 days of service, and exceptional customer service in both reviews and our experience secret shopping.
However, based on our extensive research across the industry, we recommend Terminix as the top national provider for pest control. Terminix tops our list based on its excellent reputation among third-party reviews, wide range of options for help over the phone and online, and comprehensive pest control services.
If you live in an eligible area, Hawx is another reputable provider of pest control plans, though it lost points in our review for its lack of a 24/7 customer service line. We always recommend that you request quotes from multiple providers to compare personalized treatment plans for your home before deciding.
What is the difference between Terminix and Orkin?
Terminix and Orkin are both excellent companies available in most states. Both offer 24/7 customer service, a wide variety of pest treatments, and a reservicing guarantee.Some differences between Terminix and Orkin are that Orkin offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and serves 47 states, whereas Terminix offers a live-chat option on its website; provides additional services for attic, crawl space, and insulation; and serves 45 states. While secret-shopping for homes across the nation, we also found Terminix’s general plan to be $10 to $20 less per month than Orkin’s.
Does Orkin really get rid of roaches?
Orkin provides reputable cockroach control services, but roaches can return. Homeowners can avoid a repeat roach infestation by keeping food in sealed containers; cleaning up dishes, food waste, and clutter; and avoiding leaks. Orkin also offers complimentary reservicing between treatments if cockroaches do return.
Is Orkin a good pest control company?
In our thorough review of top pest control companies, Orkin received one of the highest scores thanks to its history in the industry, excellent customer service options, and satisfied customer reviews across multiple third-party websites.
How We Chose the Top Pest Control Companies
Our pest control research process starts with analyzing customer reviews on third-party websites such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Trustpilot, and Google Reviews. We then do a deep dive into each company’s website, service plans, and available cost information. We also secret shop the companies we review, reach out to representatives, and request quotes.
From there, we compile the information we’ve gathered and compare each company using our in-depth pest control methodology and review criteria. This process uses a series of factors that are important to our readers, and we score each company depending on how well they perform in each factor. For instance, companies that offer more guarantees for their service earned more points than others, and pest control plans with a larger range of covered pests earned more points than ones with fewer.
After analyzing dozens of residential and commercial pest control businesses through this process, we were able to determine the best pest control companies on the market.