Finding a reliable and experienced roofer is key to properly replacing your roof. Erie Home, also known as Erie Roofing, is a popular, reliable roofing company that’s been in business for more than 45 years. It offers new metal roof installations, gutter services, and more.
Our review covers the company’s services, our experience with its website and customer service team, and why we recommend it as one of the top roofing contractors.
Fast Facts About Erie Home
- State availability: 35* and Washington, D.C.
- Price range: $7 to $12 per square foot
- Services available: Basement repairs and waterproofing, home inspections, metal roofing installation, vinyl window replacement, air quality control, and more.
- Get a quick quote: Visit site
*Available in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Benefits of Erie Home
Get a closer look at Erie Home by reading the benefits and drawbacks below.
➕ Offers cost-effective metal roof installations, gutter services, and more.
➕ Pairs roof replacement with other home improvement projects for flexible, cost-effective solutions.
➕ Offers 13 color options for asphalt roofing.
➕ Provides custom financing options.
Erie Home Reviews
Erie Home’s headquarters page on the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Erie Construction Mid-West, LLC in Toledo, Ohio, features an A+* rating, accreditation, and an impressive customer review score of 4.7 out of 5. The company’s headquarters also has excellent customer service scores on its Google Reviews page. Many customer reviews praise the company for its quality metal roofing products and simple approach to installation and scheduling.
However, our research showed that Erie Home held a previously negative customer reputation. Namely, many BBB and Yelp reviews expressed dissatisfaction with aggressive sales tactics and higher-than-average industry quotes. These reviews have lessened throughout the last few years, indicating that Erie Home has changed to mend these issues.
Here are some of the testimonials we analyzed during our customer review analysis:
“Erie’s installation crew [was] prompt and knowledgeable about the product. The job finished a day early, and they left the property as they found it. All in all, it was a pleasant experience dealing with all the levels of Erie.” —paultassinari57 via Google Reviews
“Our salesman was great in telling us about the products and our options, and he didn’t try to sell us on anything; he let us make the decision. After agreeing, he told us the time and date the crew would start. On said time and date, the crew was there. They started immediately. After two days of hard work, they finished my beautiful roof. The crew was great and picked up everything. Very professional. I would recommend the crew and Erie Home to anyone. GREAT job from start to finish.” —Dwayne Stevens via Google Reviews
“For what I paid for this roof, I should not have to deal with it looking piecemeal—it’s 2 different colors. They told me to wait six months for it to look better. It has been seven months; no word from them, and it still looks bad.” —Alan Wombacher via Google Reviews
“Our roof is leaking. We had an appointment last week for someone to come by, but noone showed up. We rescheduled, and someone was supposed to be here today at 6, but no call, no text, no email, no show.” —Michelle McCutcheon via Google Reviews
*BBB information is accurate as of September 2023.
Erie Home Services Available
Though it started by offering quality metal roofing services, Erie Home now provides various home improvement services, such as window replacement and basement waterproofing. We break down each service option below but be aware that its service offerings will change according to your zip code.
Erie focuses on metal roof installation and replacement. Based on our research, we found that Erie offers homeowners the following three metal roofing options:
- Architectural metal shingle roofs: Metal shingle roofs are made of small, overlapping metal panels shaped like traditional shingles. They’re weather-resistant, fire-resistant, and durable, with a life span of 50 to 70 years. They’re also lightweight yet strong. Metal shingle roofs come in various styles and colors and are easy to install, making them a practical and attractive retrofit option. Their extreme durability and energy efficiency over their extended life span offsets their higher installation cost.
- Spanish tile metal roofs: Spanish tile metal roofs are made of lightweight metals shaped and painted to resemble the curved terra-cotta tiles typical of Spanish architecture. The interlocking metal tiles are installed over waterproof underlayment on the roof deck, providing a watertight barrier. Steel and aluminum are commonly used for their malleability, durability, weather resistance, and cost-effectiveness. Spanish tile metal roofing systems offer the aesthetic charm of clay tiles without the structural weight, fragility, and higher cost. They also last up to 70 years and provide energy efficiency, fire resistance, and hurricane-grade wind resistance, making them visually appealing and functional.
- Metal shake roofs: Metal shake roofs use durable metal shingles with visible edges that overlap like wooden shakes. This mimics the rustic look of wood shakes This roof type uses steel and aluminum, providing more waterproofing, fire resistance, and impact resistance than real wood. The metal shake shingles interlock to resist weather infiltration and are installed over the waterproof underlayment on the roof deck. Metal shake roofing provides the natural appeal of wood shakes without the fire risk, maintenance, and cost, while lasting 70 years or more.
Erie Home includes a limited lifetime materials and workmanship warranty with each metal roof installation.
Erie Home offers a wide selection of vinyl replacement windows to suit your home’s needs and style. Options include simple, traditional double-hung windows and modern, striking slider windows. The company has over 25 colors, including several woodgrain finishes. Erie Home’s windows are ENERGY STAR-certified, and backed with a transferable limited lifetime warranty that covers glass breaking, warping, pitting, and chipping.
Erie’s window options include:
- Awning windows
- Basement hoppers
- Bay or bow windows
- Casement windows
- Double-hung windows
- Picture windows
- Sliding windows
- Specialty windows
Home Improvement Services
Erie offers several other home improvement services, but availability varies by location. The company’s contact form lists window, siding, roofing, and home inspection services. The contact forms for individual locations provide even more options. Below are some of the services we encountered during our research into multiple Erie Home locations:
- Air quality control
- Basement services
- Foundation services
- Home inspection
Erie Home Pricing
Erie Home doesn’t provide direct pricing information on its website. However, in one of its blog posts, the company estimates customers can expect to pay between $7 and $12 per square foot for its metal roofs. This cost is slightly lower than the national average metal roofing cost. Customer reviews indicate that roofs cost between $12,000 and $23,000, but some customers reported paying over $45,000 due to special conditions, such as large roofs or multiple tiers of roofs.
Erie Home Roof Installation
Roof installation with Erie Home follows many of the standard steps for roof installation with any roofing company.
- First, you either fill out a contact form (providing your email, name, and phone number), send an email, or call the company directly.
- Next, one of Erie Home’s salespersons will contact you. They’ll get information about your project and schedule an appointment with a home inspector.
- On the appointment date, an inspector visits your home, inspects the property, and calculates a free quote. They can also answer any questions you have about the project.
- Once you agree with the price and sign the contract, one of Erie’s sales reps will work with you to schedule an installation date.
- On installation day, a work crew arrives and executes the job. For roof replacement, they remove all the old roofing, install the new roof, and then clean the area of all debris and leftover material. This job can happen in one day, but the team may need to push any uncompleted work to the next day. The team leader then gives the roof a final inspection and answers any questions you have.
We recommend Erie for metal roofing projects. Erie is a reliable and trustworthy company with top-quality products, reasonable pricing, and exceptional customer service. Moreover, Erie offers lifetime protection for both workmanship and labor. Though Erie has some limitations in terms of variety, its overall benefits far outweigh these shortcomings.
We strongly recommend gathering quotes from at least three providers and comparing prices, product quality, customer satisfaction, and warranties. This way, you can ensure that you get the best deal and peace of mind.
Erie Home FAQ
What is the longest-lasting roofing material?
Metal, tile, and slate last the longest but may not be cost-effective or suitable for every home. High-quality asphalt shingles offer many homeowners a good balance of longevity and affordability. Proper installation and maintenance are key to getting the longest life from any roofing material.
How much should I save for a new roof?
Aim to save around $10,000 or more for an average roof replacement, but you should get quotes for a better idea of how much you need to save.
What time of year is the cheapest to replace a roof?
Roofing contractors may offer discounts in winter due to decreased demand after summer and fall. Additionally, purchasing roofing materials such as shingles in fall or winter may offer extra savings.